Saturday, October 27, 2007

thoughts on de-commodification

Some random thoughts on "De-Commodification", in no particular order:

2. Being in the $10 wine business, "De-commodification" is a subject dear to my heart. One thing the world is not short of is... vast lakes of unsold wine.

3. When I hit a certain age, I also learned the hard way that the the world was not short of thirty-something journeyman advertising creatives, either. Nothing like feeling a commodity oneself, to pique one's interest in de-commodification. Heh.

4. You know the phenomenon when a company gets too big and too rich, and the next thing you know, the middle-manager politics take over? Starts sucking the life blood out of the company? The start of inevitable and permanent decline? Know what I mean? The more time I spend on this side of the pond, the more I think this company allegory applies to these United States, as well.

5. Last week I was on the phone to an old friend of mine! , a guy in his late forties, who was born and bred in Michigan, and is living there now. He was telling me about his uncle, who, about four decades ago, got his highschool sweetheart pregnant. So instead of going off to college, he found himself with a new wife, a child on the way, and an assembly-line job at General Motors. But even though this situation clipped his wings considerably, he still ended up having a nice life in the end, with a home, a big yard, two cars, a steady paycheck, weekends fishing or hunting deer, and vacations in Hawaii every year or so. "The days where a blue collar guy like my uncle could have a nice life without doing much," my friend said, "those days are gone. Gone forever."

And in the back of my mind, I'm thinking the same is starting to happen to white collar guys more and more, as well. But it's not quite out in the open yet. Society's not quite ready to have that conversation.

7. I wish I could think of a better term than "D! e-Commodification". It's an unwieldy word.

By: Dave Gilliland

Article Directory: http://www.articledashboard.com

Dave Gilliland is an Internet Marketer who works with a team of successful online entrepreneurs around the world. Dave cares about helping individuals create 6-figure incomes working from home. For more information visit: www.6figureswithdave.com


Source: http://www.gapingvoid.com/Moveable_Type/archives/004285.html
Home Business Articles Blog

No comments: