Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Britain to Rely on Offshore Wind Power By 2020

LONDON, ENGLAND - Britain unveiled plans Monday to generate enough electricity through offshore wind farms to power every home in the country by 2020, increasing production more than 60-fold and changing the look of its coastlines.

Britain's wind-swept coasts and shallow waters are ideal for offshore turbines, but wind generated power currently accounts for less than 2 percent of its energy generation.

Business secretary John Hutton said the government planned to reach the target through a fourfold increase in the amount of space off Britain's shores allocated for wind farms.

The move would change Britain's coasts, Hutton acknowledged, but said the need for energy self-sufficiency left the country no choice. He said the plans would depend on environmental impact studies.

"But if we could manage to achieve this, by 2020 enough electricity could be generated off our shores to power the equivalent of all of the U.K.'s homes," Hutton said in a stateme! nt.

The British Wind Energy Association, a trade body that represents the country's wind and marine energy industries, welcomed plans for more offshore wind farm sites, but it said it would be difficult to raise Britain's wind power production from half a gigawatt currently to 33 gigawatts by 2020 - the equivalent of the energy now consumed by every British home.

Eight gigawatts' worth of wind generation projects are already planned, but the group said the limited supply of turbines meant the amount of wind energy produced by 2020 would likely be closer to 20 gigawatts.

"We'd really be struggling from a 'Where can we get the turbines?'" point of view, the association's economics director Gordon Edge said.

Environmental campaigners and opposition lawmakers welcomed the plan, but some noted that wind generated power is expensive. Wind power-generated electricity is currently costlier to generate than its coal- or gas-generated counterpart.

M! assive new offshore wind farms, such as the 1 gigawatt London ! project planned for the Thames estuary in the country's southeast, are due to go online by 2014. According to the BWEA, the country is on track to overtake Denmark as the world's largest generator of offshore wind power next year.

By: E.Thomas

Article Directory: http://www.articledashboard.com

All the top earners find joy in investing in themselves. How much is network marketing success worth to you? www.earlthomasjr.com


Source: http://www.tristatenews.com/article_7333.stm
Top Home Based Business

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello to the viewers on this site my name is Mary Cranor i was married to one Mr David Cranor we live and love each other so much am 52 years of age now and we both have 3 grow up children i and my husband love and care for each our marriage last for 31 years so few years back my husband traveled to Europe for business he spent about 6 months there coming home he came with a young lady which i was not comfortable with i tried all my best and at the end my husband was able to send this lady out of the house and she return to Europe we love our selves again just as before,but after few years we have been together again an old friend of of main who traveled to another country Later came back to America he has been a good friend to me and my first lover during our high school days he invite me for denier but i refuse he begged me because it has been long we have meet each other we only chart on Facebook and Skype so granted his invitation this happened on the Christmas night December 24 2013 i went out with him hopefully i will come home that same day i know i was very wrong so getting there i spend lot of time with him and i spend the night with him in a hotel room it was all an incident and i was very assumed of my self when i discovered what i did,but the most painful part of it was my husband friend saw me with this man which i did not even know he went and tell my husband all that happened,when i got home the next day my husband sent me picking my stuff he said is over that he needs a divorce i was heart broken i don't know what to do i love my husband so much and for the sake of my children i can't let go just like that,i share my problem with my a friend of my we work in the same company he introduce me to a powerful spell caster who also help her in her own time of need his name is DOCTOR OTUOBALLA he help me cast a spell and my husband later came back to me begging me to come back home that was how the great powerful spell caster helped me in fixing back my marriage and getting the man i love back to me am very grateful to him my husband return back to me after seven days the incident occurred,are passing through problem in your marriage or relationship? the answer is here DOCTOR OTUOBALLA is here to help you too just as he have helped me contact him now with this email: otuoballaspelltemple@live.com